Here are ten significant events that have occurred on this day in history:
- 624 – Battle of Badr: Muslims under Prophet Muhammad defeat the Meccans, marking the first major battle in Islam.
- 1781 – William Herschel discovers Uranus, the seventh planet from the sun.
- 1865 – American Civil War: Union forces under General William T. Sherman occupy Fayetteville, North Carolina.
- 1881 – Tsar Alexander II of Russia is assassinated in St. Petersburg by a group of revolutionaries.
- 1925 – The Tennessee General Assembly passes a bill prohibiting the teaching of the theory of evolution in public schools.
- 1930 – Astronomer Clyde Tombaugh announces the discovery of Pluto at Lowell Observatory.
- 1943 – World War II: In the Battle of the Bismarck Sea, Allied aircraft defeat a Japanese convoy carrying troops to New Guinea.
- 1964 – American socialite Kitty Genovese is murdered in New York City, leading to the “bystander effect” being widely discussed in psychology.
- 1988 – The Seikan Tunnel, the longest undersea tunnel in the world, opens in Japan, connecting the islands of Honshu and Hokkaido.
- 2013 – Pope Francis is elected as the 266th Pope of the Catholic Church, becoming the first pope from the Americas.
Thank you for reading my writings. If you’d like to, you can buy me a coffee for just £1 and I will think of you while writing my next post! Just hit the link below…. (thanks in advance)