Here are ten significant events that happened on March 16 throughout history:
- 37 AD – Tiberius, the Roman Emperor, dies, and is succeeded by his nephew Caligula.
- 1521 – Portuguese navigator Ferdinand Magellan reaches the Philippines, becoming the first European to reach the islands.
- 1660 – The Long Parliament of England is dissolved, ending the Commonwealth period and restoring the monarchy under Charles II.
- 1850 – Nathaniel Hawthorne’s novel “The Scarlet Letter” is published in the United States.
- 1926 – Physicist Robert Goddard launches the first liquid-fueled rocket in Auburn, Massachusetts.
- 1935 – Adolf Hitler orders Germany to rearm, in violation of the Treaty of Versailles.
- 1968 – The My Lai Massacre takes place in Vietnam, where American soldiers kill between 350 and 500 unarmed civilians, including women and children.
- 1978 – Italy’s former Prime Minister Aldo Moro is kidnapped by the Red Brigades, a left-wing militant group.
- 1995 – Mississippi ratifies the 13th Amendment, becoming the last state to approve the abolition of slavery, 130 years after it was passed by Congress.
- 2014 – Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 disappears with 239 people on board, and its fate remains unknown to this day.
Thank you for reading my writings. If you’d like to, you can buy me a coffee for just £1 and I will think of you while writing my next post! Just hit the link below…. (thanks in advance)