Here are 10 significant events that happened on April 12 throughout history:
- 1861 – The American Civil War began when Confederate forces fired on Fort Sumter in South Carolina.
- 1945 – President Franklin D. Roosevelt died in Warm Springs, Georgia. He was succeeded by Vice President Harry S. Truman.
- 1961 – Yuri Gagarin became the first human to travel into space when he completed a 108-minute orbit of the Earth aboard the Vostok 1 spacecraft.
- 1981 – The first space shuttle, Columbia, was launched on its maiden voyage.
- 1990 – The Hubble Space Telescope was launched from the space shuttle Discovery.
- 2002 – The first public version of Mozilla Firefox web browser was released.
- 2009 – North Korea launched a long-range rocket, which it claimed was to put a satellite into orbit, but which other countries saw as a disguised missile test.
- 2018 – The Pulitzer Prize winners were announced, including Kendrick Lamar becoming the first rapper to win the Pulitzer for Music.
- 2020 – Bernie Sanders dropped out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, effectively clearing the way for Joe Biden to become the nominee.
- 2021 – Russia announced it was moving troops and military equipment to the border with Ukraine, causing concern in the international community.
Thank you for reading my writings. If you’d like to, you can buy me a coffee for just £1 and I will think of you while writing my next post! Just hit the link below…. (thanks in advance)