Here are 10 significant things tha t happened on this day in history…
1. 1775: Patrick Henry delivered his famous speech with the quote “Give me liberty or give me death!” at St. John’s Church in Richmond, Virginia.
2. 1801: Tsar Paul I of Russia is murdered in his bedroom by a group of conspirators led by General Bennigsen.
3. 1903: The Wright Brothers apply for a patent for their invention of the airplane.
4. 1919: Benito Mussolini founded the Fasci di Combattimento in Milan, Italy, which later evolved into the National Fascist Party.
5. 1933: The German Reichstag passed the Enabling Act, giving Adolf Hitler and his government sweeping powers and effectively making him a dictator.
6. 1956: Pakistan became the first Islamic republic in the world.
7. 1983: President Ronald Reagan introduced the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI), a proposed space-based missile defense system that became known as “Star Wars.”
8. 1994: Aeroflot Flight 593 crashed into a hillside in Siberia, killing all 75 people on board after the pilot allowed his teenage son to take the controls.
9. 2010: President Barack Obama signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, into law.
10. 2019: The European Union agreed to delay Brexit until April 12th, 2019, in order to give the UK more time to agree on a withdrawal deal.
Thank you for reading my writings. If you’d like to, you can buy me a coffee for just £1 and I will think of you while writing my next post! Just hit the link below…. (thanks in advance)