Here are 10 interesting events that happened on May 2nd throughout history:
- 1611 – The King James Bible is first published in London, England.
- 1808 – The city of Madrid rises up against French occupation in the Dos de Mayo Uprising.
- 1863 – The Battle of Chancellorsville in Virginia, United States ends with a Confederate victory and the death of Union General Stonewall Jackson.
- 1885 – The Congo Free State is established by King Leopold II of Belgium, which later became a source of controversy for its treatment of the Congolese people.
- 1933 – Nazi Germany’s student union, the National Socialist German Students’ League, stages a mass book burning of “un-German” literature in Berlin and other cities.
- 1945 – The Soviet Union announces the fall of Berlin in World War II, after capturing the city from Nazi Germany.
- 1952 – The world’s first jet airliner, the British-made de Havilland Comet, makes its maiden flight from London to Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 1964 – The first BASIC computer program is run by computer scientist John Kemeny and his team at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire, United States.
- 1982 – The Falklands War begins when Argentine forces invade the British-owned Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic.
- 2011 – Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden is killed by United States special forces in a raid on his compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.
Thank you for reading my writings. If you’d like to, you can buy me a coffee for just £1 and I will think of you while writing my next post! Just hit the link below…. (thanks in advance)