Here are 10 interesting events that happened on May 7th throughout history:
- 558 – The dome of the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, Turkey collapses due to an earthquake.
- 1429 – Joan of Arc leads French forces to lift the siege of Orleans during the Hundred Years’ War.
- 1663 – The Theatre Royal in London, England is destroyed by fire.
- 1765 – The HMS Victory, a British warship, is launched.
- 1824 – Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony, which includes the “Ode to Joy,” premieres in Vienna, Austria.
- 1915 – The passenger ship Lusitania is sunk by a German submarine off the coast of Ireland, killing 1,198 people.
- 1945 – Germany surrendered to the Allied Powers, ending World War II in Europe.
- 1954 – The French garrison in Dien Bien Phu, Vietnam, surrenders to Viet Minh forces after a 55-day siege.
- 1992 – Michigan ratifies a 203-year-old proposed amendment to the United States Constitution, making it the 27th Amendment to the Constitution.
- 2018 – The United States moves its embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, sparking protests and violence in Gaza.
Thank you for reading my writings. If you’d like to, you can buy me a coffee for just £1 and I will think of you while writing my next post! Just hit the link below…. (thanks in advance)