Here are ten interesting events that took place on May 27th throughout history:
- 1703: Saint Petersburg, Russia, is founded by Tsar Peter the Great.
- 1813: American troops capture Fort George in Canada during the War of 1812.
- 1937: The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California, officially opens to the public.
- 1941: The British Royal Navy sinks the German battleship Bismarck in the North Atlantic Ocean.
- 1968: The Beatles’ album “The Beatles” (commonly known as “The White Album”) goes to number one on the Billboard 200 chart.
- 1995: The Bosnian War comes to an end as Bosnian Serb forces sign an agreement in Dayton, Ohio.
- 1999: The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia indicts Slobodan Milosevic, the former President of Yugoslavia, for war crimes.
- 2016: President Barack Obama becomes the first sitting U.S. President to visit Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park in Japan.
- 2017: The world’s longest bridge-tunnel system, the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge, linking Hong Kong, Macau, and mainland China, opens to traffic.
- 2020: SpaceX successfully launches its first crewed mission, Demo-2, to the International Space Station, marking the first time a private company sends humans into orbit.
Thank you for reading my writings. If you’d like to, you can buy me a coffee for just £1 and I will think of you while writing my next post! Just hit the link below…. (thanks in advance)