Here are 10 significant events that occurred on this day in history:
- 1930 – Constantinople is officially renamed Istanbul in Turkey.
- 1942 – British naval forces raid the Nazi-occupied French port of Saint-Nazaire.
- 1968 – American singer and civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. leads a march in Memphis, Tennessee, where he delivers his famous “I’ve Been to the Mountaintop” speech.
- 1979 – A partial meltdown occurs at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant in Pennsylvania, USA.
- 1990 – Former US President Ronald Reagan makes his first public speech since leaving office, addressing a rally in support of Republican candidates in Beverly Hills, California.
- 1994 – The first successful test of the MIRV missile system is conducted by the US military.
- 1999 – The Dow Jones Industrial Average closes above 10,000 for the first time in history.
- 2002 – Israel begins its Operation Defensive Shield military campaign in the West Bank, targeting Palestinian militant groups.
- 2005 – The 2005 Sumatra earthquake, measuring 8.7 on the Richter scale, strikes off the coast of Indonesia, triggering a tsunami that kills over 1,000 people.
- 2017 – The United Kingdom formally triggers Article 50, starting the process of leaving the European Union.
Thank you for reading my writings. If you’d like to, you can buy me a coffee for just £1 and I will think of you while writing my next post! Just hit the link below…. (thanks in advance)