Here are ten significant events that occurred on April 3rd throughout history:
- 1043: Edward the Confessor is crowned as King of England.
- 1860: The first successful Pony Express run from St. Joseph, Missouri to Sacramento, California takes place, with the delivery of the first mail pouch.
- 1882: American outlaw Jesse James is shot and killed by Robert Ford, a member of his own gang.
- 1933: The first flight over Mount Everest is completed by Lord Clydesdale and David McIntyre, flying in a Westland biplane.
- 1942: Japanese forces begin their final assault on the Bataan Peninsula in the Philippines, leading to the surrender of American and Filipino forces on April 9th.
- 1948: U.S. President Harry S. Truman signs the Marshall Plan, which provides financial aid to Western European countries devastated by World War II.
- 1968: Martin Luther King Jr. delivers his final speech, known as the “I’ve Been to the Mountaintop” speech, in Memphis, Tennessee.
- 1973: The first handheld mobile phone call is made by Motorola engineer Martin Cooper in New York City.
- 1996: Suspected “Unabomber” Theodore Kaczynski is arrested at his remote cabin in Montana.
- 2010: Apple releases the first-generation iPad, marking the start of the tablet computer era.
Thank you for reading my writings. If you’d like to, you can buy me a coffee for just £1 and I will think of you while writing my next post! Just hit the link below…. (thanks in advance)